Why is it important to identify disaster recovery strategies?
Having conducted extensive research on your business, how it operates, its dependencies, its information requirements and its financial contributions, plus the threats to those operations, you are ready to define strategies to protect those assets following a disruptive event. Without a disaster recovery (DR) strategy, you will have a difficult time completing a DR plan.
Let’s assume you identify several computer applications that the organization needs to provide monthly reports to regulatory agencies. Failure to provide these reports could mean costly fines and other penalties. You determine that these applications run on two servers, and are connected via the local area network (LAN) to the Internet as well as a storage area network (SAN) that routes the data to designated storage devices. Identify strategies that will minimize the loss of these servers and their ability to produce the required reports, such as:
- Server replication (you have servers identified either on-site or at an alternate location that can support the applications)
- Backup servers (replacement servers that can be substituted for a damaged device)
- Data replication (critical data are immediately replicated to an alternate storage device)
- Backup copies of applications (available to restore the applications if they are damaged)
- Diversely configured LAN infrastructure (minimizes the chances a network break will shut down the entire LAN)
Remember that the strategies you identify will be used to build the DR plan.
Dig Deeper on Disaster recovery storage
Related Q&A from Paul Kirvan
Business continuity and resilience go hand in hand and play a role in an organization's disaster recovery plan. Essentially, business continuity is ... Continue Reading
A data archiving plan might not be simply important for your organization -- it could be necessary, given legal and compliance requirements. Make ... Continue Reading
In order to migrate backup data from the cloud back to an on-premises environment, you should follow these steps to ensure your data will be safe and... Continue Reading