The merits of disaster recovery planning are obvious, but a critical aspect of disaster recovery planning is often overlooked: disaster recovery testing. Disaster recovery testing is the only way that you can ensure that your plan is solid and that you will be able to recover data in the event of a loss. However, there are other benefits, as well. Disaster recovery testing also allows you to conduct plan maintenance, offers a training opportunity for staff and creates awareness within your organization about disaster recovery procedures.
This podcast offers specific things to consider when you are conducting a disaster recovery test. Some of the topics covered include:
- How to set disaster recovery test objectives.
- How to avoid "cheating."
- How to measure the effect of changes on your disaster recovery plan.
- How virtualization plays into disaster recovery testing.
Download the podcast: "How to conduct a disaster recovery test".
For more on disaster recovery testing:
- Download our disaster recovery/business continuity test template
- Learn disaster recovery planning and testing strategies in our free e-guide
- Read about how to cut disaster recovery testing costs
- Learn how often to conduct a disaster recovery test
About the author: Pierre Dorion is a certified business continuity professional for Mainland Information Systems Inc.
This was first published in June 2008