Training personnel on how to respond following a disaster event is a critical part of disaster recovery planning....
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
It is essential that emergency response teams know their roles inside and out. Other employees can benefit from DR training as well. Below are the top ways to ensure that personnel are adequately trained for disaster preparedness and disaster response.
- Develop and schedule training activities for emergency response team members.
- Schedule and conduct periodic exercises to ensure that team members know their roles and responsibilities.
- Schedule and conduct evacuation drills for all employees.
- Invite representatives from first responder organizations to review and critique exercises as well as critique team members following an exercise.
- Work with human resources to have emergency response team activities built into team members' annual employee performance plans (e.g., attending training sessions and participating in exercises).
The more training and exercising your emergency teams receive, the more likely they will perform their duties precisely as they were trained. Less training and fewer briefings on duties in an emergency mean that you are placing the safety and security of your employees and the company in the hands of people who may mean well but are unprepared.
Disaster response and recovery can have life-or-death stakes
The importance of swift disaster recovery
BI can manage disaster response
Dig Deeper on Disaster recovery facilities - operations
Related Q&A from Paul Kirvan
In conducting an IT risk assessment, are you asking the right questions to your staff? Are you talking to the right people? These elements are ...continue reading
As the desired recovery time objective continues to decrease, make sure your organization can handle it with the proper technology, employees and ...continue reading
With software, consultants and standards at the ready, plus the rise of DR as a service, it's easy to get started on a business recovery plan. So ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.