- When creating your pandemic plan, get informed of your supply chain, who the players are, where they are located and what alternative sources are available.
- Invest in cross-training of staff to ensure that important functions are not owned exclusively by one person.
- Be sure that operations manuals and emergency recovery plans are all documented and easily understandable by non-technical persons.
- Ensure that critical systems and operations can be managed remotely, in case people have to work from home.
- Become an advocate for succession planning, all the way to the top of the firm.
- Make sure that all employee contact and personal information (HR files) is current.
- Keep supplies of face masks and other preventive items in supply at all corporate locations.
- Arrange for flu shots at the office and encourage staff to get them.
This was first published in August 2010