We recently relocated from a rented space to a building we purchased. Many of the DR responsibilities at the previous...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
location were handled by the landlord -- one example was a backup generator for power outages. Do you have a disaster recovery checklist of things we need to address at our new location?
There are many things to consider depending on your company's specific needs. Here's a good start:
- Physical security to prevent unauthorized access
- Backup power systems
- Secure and lockable storage areas for spare systems and components
- Cross-training of staff in key functional areas so there will be backup staff in case of illness
- Documented and regularly exercised technology disaster recovery plans
It's likely that you already have some sort of IT disaster recovery plan in place from your previous location. However, a move is a good time to revisit IT DR as well. Be sure to have the following:
- Information security to prevent unauthorized access to networks and systems
- Backup copies of all applications
- Backup devices (e.g., servers, routers, switches) that are periodically tested to ensure that they work
- Offsite copies of data (e.g., data mirroring and replication, cloud-based disaster recovery, or offsite tape storage)
Related Q&A from Paul Kirvan
Your organization's risk assessment plan should account for the increase in severe weather events and the damage they can cause.continue reading
Developing a business disaster recovery plan requires buy-in from management as well as the building landlord.continue reading
Many backup software products now include WAN optimization techniques, but will users be quick to give up hardware-based WAN optimization?continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.