What are the most common mistakes you see when conducting DR testing?
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but typical mistakes include neglecting to do the following:
- Define the scope and objectives of the test.
- Develop a scenario for the test.
- Develop and document the test process.
- Alert other departments of the test.
- Define team responsibilities in the test.
- Ensure that all elements needed in the test, e.g., networks, databases, firewalls, load balancers, data, applications, hardware, have been prepared for the test.
- Contact all relevant test participants.
- Get approval for the test.
- Complete an after-action report on the test results.
- Update the DR plan based on test findings and lessons learned.
- Brief management on test outcomes.
- Schedule the next test.
Related Q&A from Paul Kirvan
If you are running a small business that relies heavily on Google Apps, can you be sure your data is safe? Is there anything available to protect ...continue reading
What's the best place to start with small business disaster recovery? What should small businesses do first? Once something is in place, how can they...continue reading
Paul Kirvan says that reminding senior management of the last disaster and impact to the organization is one way to get upper management buy-in for ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.