What are the most common mistakes you see when conducting DR testing?
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but typical mistakes include neglecting to do the following:
- Define the scope and objectives of the test.
- Develop a scenario for the test.
- Develop and document the test process.
- Alert other departments of the test.
- Define team responsibilities in the test.
- Ensure that all elements needed in the test, e.g., networks, databases, firewalls, load balancers, data, applications, hardware, have been prepared for the test.
- Contact all relevant test participants.
- Get approval for the test.
- Complete an after-action report on the test results.
- Update the DR plan based on test findings and lessons learned.
- Brief management on test outcomes.
- Schedule the next test.
This was first published in September 2013